At Engage 2017 we were delighted to award the first Engage Watermark Faculty Award to Dundee Life Sciences, who received a gold award in recognition for their strategic support for public engagement. Professor Sir Peter Downes, Principal and Vice Chancellor of the University of Dundee said:
“This award demonstrates the fantastic work and commitment to public engagement by the School of Life Sciences that has been built up over several years. Their achievement and approach to public engagement including partnership working with others across the University, the City of Dundee and beyond reflects our core University values of working together as a community, making a difference and pursuing excellence.”
Bookings are now open for the Engage Watermark 2018 at institutional or faculty level. The award is granted by the National Co-ordinating Centre for Public Engagement (NCCPE) to higher education institutions to recognise their strategic support for public engagement and their commitment to improve the support oﬀered. Just as a watermark runs through the fabric of a document, an Engage Watermark indicates that engagement runs through the fabric of an institution.
Institutions applying for the Engage Watermark will receive a synthesis of key data relating to their institution, enabling them to recognise core strengths as well as highlight areas for development. This intelligence gathering provides a rich source of evidence to strengthen the institution’s support for impactful public engagement.
Benefits to institutions
- A focussed ‘stock take’ of existing evidence of the impact of their support for engagement
- Additional targeted intelligence gathering to build a robust picture
- A synthesis of evidence provided, reviewed by an external organisation and benchmarked against other HEIs
- A set of recommendations and prompts to inform a refreshed action plan, with clear outcomes/success measures
- A final assessment of your action plan and the underpinning evidence base
- The opportunity to demonstrate to staff, students, partners and funders the institution’s commitment to public engagement
- Compelling evidence to underpin funding applications, REF submissions, and other quality assurance processes
Engage Watermark Faculty Award
Following Dundee Life Sciences' successful pilot of the Engage Watermark Faculty Award, we are opening up this opportunity to others in 2018. The Engage Watermark Faculty Award process applies the same rigorous assessment process at a faculty/research institute level.
For 2018 we are pleased to announce that RCUK have provided a limited number of bursaries to support institutions to complete the Watermark process. Bursaries will cover 20% of the cost of the Engage Watermark and 30% of the Engage Watermark Faculty Award. Apply now to secure the discounted rates.
Bookings must be received by the 26th February to qualify for an award at Engage 2018.
If you have questions about the Engage Watermark (at an institutional or faculty level), then please get in touch with the scheme’s administrator Lisa Adlington at email@example.com or 0117 328 7190.