Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and leading-edge, relevant research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for innovation, business and industry. Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia.
The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages. Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort. Much of Heriot-Watt University’s research portfolio is focussed upon addressing sustainability challenges and contributing to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). We are seeking to appoint a Community Engagement coordinator to drive the delivery of our engagement and communication activities that help to embed sustainability across the University, support behaviour change and raise awareness across our internal and external communities.
The role would sit within Heriot-Watt Engage, the public and community engagement with research team, part of the Policy, Strategy and Impact Division (PSI). The PSI division sits within the Research Engagement Directorate, the central professional services department responsible for both the development and delivery of our ambitious research and knowledge exchange agenda as well as assisting in the delivery of our broader strategic aims, including our global sustainability strategy.
Heriot-Watt seek to be sector leading in sustainability and have the ambition to be leaders in community engagement with sustainability in Scotland and at all our global locations. We believe that this is firmly within our grasp, given our recent multi-award-winning, impactful engagement and the appointment of a Deputy Principal for Global Sustainability. This post will enable us to deliver the outcomes in Strategy 2025, align with funder requirements and meet the ambitious sustainability targets demanded of a world facing a climate emergency.
The role holder will build capacity to engage our global-local communities in our contribution to global sustainability through our research and strategic development, supporting academics and students in the delivery of high-quality community engagement and drive a transition to a more sustainable way of living. The post holder will manage and coordinate high profile events and activities that showcase and drive dialogue on the impact of Heriot-Watt policy and research on sustainability across our communities. Summary of Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Apply specialist professional knowledge and expertise to develop and deliver a programme of engagement to engage our global communities in taking personal and collective action to assist in delivering a sustainable future.
- Drive two way dialogue with our global communities on the priorities and challenges for sustainability to shape future strategy direction.
- Support and promote student-led sustainability activities and events.
- Engage with local communities and the wider public in ways which support the development of sustainable local communities.
- Provide guidance to staff and students about sustainability and how the university is addressing related challenges.
- Set up a consistent evaluation and feedback framework for events and projects.
- Work closely with relevant academic and support unit colleagues to maximise engagement opportunities with sustainability, which are targeted to academics’ specific needs
- Explore opportunities to engage with policymakers on the impact of our sustainability agenda, to raise the profile and enhance the reputation of the institution.
- Promote and communicate sustainability opportunities and updates via the University website, newsletters and social media.