Winchester Science Centre is run by an educational charity, with a mission to 'build science capital for all'. Our aim is to spark curiosity about science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM). We encourage all young people from all backgrounds to have the aspiration, knowledge and skills to progress into STEM-related careers, creating a better equipped and informed society.
Launching in 2019, a major new project will transform Winchester Science Centre and Planetarium into a national beacon for accessibility in STEM, creating an organisation that will be the benchmark science centre for working with visitors of all ability and showing how STEM can help improve the lives of everyone.
Seven priority areas have been identified, with an initial focus on the Isle of Wight. In 2019 we plan to deliver the Noel Turner Physics Festival, with the intention to grow our presence on the island to reach families, schools and communities throughout the following year.
Purpose of the job:
Widening participation is central to the mission of Winchester Science Centre. This is a key role in the Widening Participation team, helping to meet our strategic aims by delivering our outreach programme in schools, organising community events and working with the Curiosity team to ensure the internal offer is fully accessible. The successful candidate will be an advocate for accessibility and will work closely with the wider Curiosity team to ensure a joined up approach between our in-house schools and public offer and widening participation events.
Duties of the post:
- Be the driving force to deliver an outstanding Noel Turner Science Festival on the Isle of Wight (February 2020) with the support and direction of the steering group. This duty includes logistical organisation, transport organisation and scheduling, school liaison and scheduling, exhibitor booking and all operational aspects.
- Deliver exemplary workshops to priority/SEN schools visiting the Science Centre, deliver inspiring outreach in priority/SEN schools and support the Curiosity team in delivery of workshops on an ad hoc basis.
- Plan and deliver inspirational community engagement events such as ‘pop up science centres’ in shopping centres and at local events.
- Produce exceptional accessible educational materials to support delivery across all teams.
- Contribute to evaluation and monitoring of all WP activities.
- Liaise with schools and community organisations about accessibility and widening participation at Winchester Science Centre.
- Develop and maintain supportive and effective relationships with priority schools and community organisations.
- Work with and support all teams to ensure accessibility is a priority across the organisation.
- Schedule and support motivating staff training sessions about accessibility and disability confidence.
- Support the Head of Widening Participation and Director of STEM Strategy in ensuring new exhibits, shows and content are accessible to all.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Head of Widening Participation and Director of STEM Strategy.
There will be occasional work, meetings and events in evenings, early mornings and at weekends which will be compensated by time off in lieu. Additional overtime would be arranged only with agreement of both the employee and line manager. Occasional travel will be required.