Table of contents
When undertaking culture change within your institution, building a sense of common purpose and securing high level support is vital. Taking the time to consult widely and to make sense of how colleagues understand and value engagement is crucial. It is hard to drive change alone – so try to find allies in your organization who understand the value of engagement, and are happy to speak up for it.
Senior champions can help drive culture change
Weigh up formality and informality
Make the most of academic champions
Oxford University has used champions very effectively. Their final report on their Catalyst Seed Fund project identified the following factors as accounting for that success:
- A senior, highly-respected academic of international standing.
- Has the respect of senior staff across the University (not just within their Department/ Division).
- In-depth understanding and real-life experience of PE.
- The ability to champion across all disciplines – and an understanding of the PE nuances between them.
- The right balance of a collegiate approach and strong leadership.
- Having dedicated support and working together with a PE academic support staff (in this case the CSF Project Manager).