Talk to US!
Principal Investigator: Professor Marcus Grace
Title: Talk To US! Engaging University of Southampton (US) researchers with secondary school students and teachers
Lead schools: Bitterne Park School (Southampton), Wildern School (Southampton), Hounsdown School (Totten, Hampshire)
Original project proposal
Talk to US! engages secondary school students and teachers with researchers and research at the University of Southampton. The partner teaching schools, Bitterne Park School, Hounsdown School and Wildern School, are recognised for their outstanding performance. The partnership will encourage subsequent involvement of schools which seldom engage in University outreach activities. Six sub-projects will be run by researchers from the University’s Southampton Education School, the Faculty of Medicine, the Faculty of Engineering and the Environment, Oceanography, Chemistry and Biological Sciences. These sub-projects share common features:
- Professional development for teachers to help them develop a research culture among themselves and their students
- Professional development for university researchers on how best to work with teenagers
- Research-related activities which link with the school curriculum
- Small-scale school-based research carried out by students
- Small-scale action research carried out by teachers
- An end of year 'celebration' at the University, for students to exhibit their work, share experiences and present posters on their research projects.
Students will benefit from the project by experiencing research first-hand, having direct contact with researchers, and becoming more ‘research literate’. Teachers will become equipped with the skills and confidence to include contemporary research in the classroom. Researchers will experience more effective ways of working with local schools.