School-University Partnerships: Lessons from the SUPI programme
This page provides links to some of the inspiring case studies and rich resources created by School-University Partnerships Initiative (SUPI) projects, over the course of the four year RCUK programme.
SUPI Lessons Booklet
The NCCPE has worked with the 12 SUPI projects to distil the key lessons learned in a booklet, alongside relevant snapshot case studies from the projects. We hope it will enable universities and schools to initiate, enhance and develop their approach to long-term school-university partnerships.
Perspectives on Partnership Tool
Created by the NCCPE in consultation with the SUPI projects (including researchers, teachers, students, and university staff) this resource is a great planning and talking tool to help develop effective partnerships. Presented as a large set of cards, you can order a printed copy of this resource free of charge (limited time only) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be launching the downloadable version in January.
Inspiring the next generation by bringing contemporary research into formal and informal learning contexts to enhance the curriculum and raise ambition
Authentic research that inspires school students
- UEA SUPI case study: 'Using barcoding to identify the fungal and algal partners in lichen symbiosis'
- UEA SUPI case study: 'Year 10 summer school'
- Strathclyde SUPI case study: 'MUSE oral history research project'
- Bristol SUPI case study: 'The StAR project'
Engaging school students in formal and informal learning contexts
- Exeter SUPI case study: 'Eco Soc: Designing Intelligence'
Using different tools and technologies to support engagement
- Aberystwyth SUPI case study: 'Developing meaningful added value activities between researchers and schools'
- OU/DTSA SUPI case study: 'Labcasts: Bringing Cutting Edge Science to the Classroom'
Connecting teachers with contemporary research
- Bristol SUPI case study: 'The Romantics teacher CPD: a school-led curriculum support activity'
Supporting the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
- OU/DTSA SUPI EPQ support resources
- Manchester SUPI case study: 'Extended Project Qualifications: Mathematical Modelling and Problem Solving'
Reaching secondary school students from a diversity of backgrounds and abilities and engaging the widest possible range of teachers and schools in ways which have maximum impact on teaching quality and learning
Engaging the widest possible range of teachers and schools
- Southampton Talk to US! guide book and teacher resources
Providing researchers with opportunities and training to engage with secondary school students
Creating high-quality training opportunities
Supporting secondary schools and HEIs to work together to create structured, strategic, sustainable and equitable mechanisms for school-university engagement
A shared vision for partnership
- Perspectives on Partnership Tool: Created by the NCCPE in consultation with the SUPI projects (including researchers, teachers, students, and university staff) this resource is a great planning and talking tool to help develop effective partnerships. Presented as a large set of cards, you can order a printed copy of this resource here. We will be launching the downloadable version in January.
Planning for school university engagement
Evaluating to enhance activities
- Black and Featherstone (2014), Evaluation Tools, University of Exeter
- Southampton's Talk to US! 'Building School-University Partnerships' Guidebook contains a section on evaluation and a case study about the evolution of the 'Murder in the Medical School' activity
Building an infrastructure
- See Cardiff's Curriculum Support website for an example of how to join up and make visible what your university can offer to schools