20 experienced community partners and 10 academics were selected to attend. The objectives for this event were to:
- Share and consider the successes and blunders of partnership working
- Explore ways to influence community-university policy, decision making processes and practice
- Deliberate on the pros and cons of setting up a UK Community Partner Network
- Provide inspiration to produce useful resources
Day One was designed for community partners only, offering a ‘safe space’ in which to freely discuss their experience of working with universities. Day Two included enthusiastic academics eager to ponder the hurdles to achieving good partnerships and shaping potential solutions.
Three priority ways to strengthen community partner capacity were agreed at the event:
- Establish a UK Community Partner Network
- Sort a community partner ‘sat nav’!
- Shift the culture
This event helped set the scene for developing the community partner working group and further resources which are available to download at the bottom of this page.