Submitting your expression of interest
We are really pleased that you would like to be involved with this year's conference, which will be held in Edinburgh on the 29th-30th November.
Framing new futures for public engagement
At the Engage Conference this year we’ll be exploring new futures for university public engagement; celebrating the NCCPE’s 10 year anniversary; and taking stock of the lessons learned. Weaving in stories from people who have been working to embed public engagement in their practice and institutions – and with provocation from outside the sector - Engage 2018 will help set the foundations for the road ahead.
The conference will be framed around three themes:
The landscape for public engagement continues to morph and change, sensitive to broader changes in wider society. How can we make sense of the dramatic changes we are living through? How do we need to adapt our engagement activity? What opportunities are we missing? Who else can help? What will it look like 10 years from now? How will we get there?
Engagement takes time, but can be transformative. Stories can help reflect where we have come from and where we are going, enabling us to gain insights and change direction. Do you have stories to share – about your own journey or about how teams, projects, organisations and publics have been changed by engagement?
Engagement is typically a human, subtle process that creates significant change – to people, practices and products. There are a multitude of methods and approaches. Can you help us understand how to make engagement work?
Call for contributions
If you would like to contribute to one or more of the above themes, have transformational stories to share, tricky issues to explore, or would like to stimulate discussion, debate and reflection, we invite you to share your ideas. Break-out sessions will include the following formats:
- Interactive workshops: Host a 60 or 90 minute workshop exploring the practice, principles or prospects of public engagement. Please make sure you tell us how you will ensure the session is tailored to the needs of delegates, and how you will use interactivity to encourage participation.
- Debates or panel discussions: Convene a 60 or 90 minute debate, or panel discussion. Sessions will provide opportunities to hear a range of perspectives on emerging trends or tricky issues.
- Storytelling: Storytelling is a powerful engagement tool, and we are keen to hear your stories of change. If you have a story to share, we invite you to contribute a 7 minute story followed by Q&A. Story telling sessions will bring together several story tellers to weave their magic.
- Thinking spaces: Returning to Engage this year by popular demand, thinking spaces are hour-long hosted discussions aimed at delegates who want a different type of conversation. Would you like to host a thinking space, providing a relaxed, informal space to explore particular issues in a more open format?
- Taster case studies: People relish the chance to learn from other's experience. Taster case studies are a chance to host a table of up to 10 people, and to use a 20 minute slot to engage them (without powerpoint or audio-visual aids - but hopefully with interesting props) in a focussed conversation about an aspect of your work.
In addition to this we are also inviting contributions to our popular poster party on the evening of the 29th November, which this year will include contributions from the local community, and encounters session at lunch on the 30th November, so please indicate if you would like to:
- Host a poster showcasing excellent public engagement practice
- Host an interactive encounter providing delegates with a hands-on experience of public engagement in action
Please complete the following form with details of the contribution you would like to make. If you would like to make more than one contribution to the conference, please ensure that you submit separate forms for each one. The application form cannot be saved and returned to at a later date, and cannot be retrieved in the event of an internet connection error or timeout, so please prepare your words in a separate document. Applications close on the 18th June 2018. We will be in contact by 31st July to confirm next steps.
Please note, contributors will need to book their place at the conference by the 10th September in order to confirm your slot. As the submitting party, session leaders are responsible for ensuring that all other contributors to their session are aware of this and have also booked their places. Failure to do so may result in your space being given to someone else.
We will open the bookings for successful contributors on the 27th of August, a week before the main bookings open, and contributors are strongly encouraged to use this early booking period to secure their place at the conference.
Thank you for your interest in Engage 2018. If you have any queries please contact email@example.com.