This event has been cancelled
Would you like to reach new audiences with your research this year?
The aim of this course is to provide a practical guide to engaging with the media. The course is aimed at researchers and public engagement professionals.
Cost: £190 per person (reduced cost for pilot)
*Includes a follow-up one-to-one media surgery with Craig Henderson*
Using the NCCPE’s quality engagement framework, this workshop explores the purpose, people, process and evaluation of media engagement. With the help of experienced journalist and broadcast producer Craig Henderson, we will support you to better understand the ways in which the media can benefit your work. Together we will explore the potential value of media engagement, and address some of the myths, misconceptions and genuine concerns that academics feel when confronted with the idea of opening up their research to the media. This session will raise awareness of the media, help you to find the ‘story’ of your research, and maximise your chances of successful media engagement.
"I really enjoyed the productive, practical and interactive Masterclass…led by top industry professionals. It was so helpful learning how commissioners interpret research ideas and what makes one idea over another more suitable for a particular media audience. Fantastic!"
2018 Media Masterclass participant
By the end of the workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand what is meant by media engagement
- Apply the principles of high quality engagement to a media context
- Identify appropriate audiences for your research
- Identify the appropriate media outlets for your story
- Articulate the story of your research in a way that is appropriate to your target audience and medium
- Have a clear idea of the appropriate routes and methods to maximise your chances of your research featuring in the media
- Articulate the relationship between media engagement and impact, and understand how to evidence this impact
- Develop a plan for media engagement with your research
One-to-one media surgeries
Included in the Masterclass, all participants will have the opportunity for a personal one-to-one surgery with Craig Henderson two weeks after this session. In these 20 minute telephone or video call sessions Craig will help you develop the most effective approach for your research, and provide detailed feedback on your media engagement plan.
For any enquires, please contact email@example.com.